Ear Reshaping Surgery
Some people are born with ears they’re not comfortable with because they’re too big or oddly shaped. There are several congenital defects which can lead to otoplasty as a way of trying to improve your ear.
Since the pinna of the ear is made up of cartilage tissues and the shape of the ear can easily be altered using cosmetic surgery, otoplasty can be a simple and permanent solution for prominent ears that's a relatively complication-free operation because the ear tissues have no major nerve endings or blood vessels.
At Allure Plastic Surgery in New York, otoplasty can be performed on patients from the age of 6 and older. After the age of 6, the ears have reached their adult size, so undergoing surgery at this age wont cause any ear related problems later in life.
By altering the quantity and structure of the cartilage tissues of the ear, otoplasty can used to help with a number of ear deformities, including earlobe reshaping, folded edges, lop ear, microtia, macrotia or constricted ears, suffered by adults who've disliked their ears and are finally ready to improve them.
Since your ears are a prominent feature of your face, you need to hire the best surgeon with the necessary experience to assure you quality work and succesful results. If you're unhappy with the appearance of your ears, or you're a parent concerned about the protrusion of your child's ears, please call Allure Plastic Surgery in New York City at (212) 661-2563 for more information about otoplasty.
Is Otoplasty The Right Choice For You Or You Child?
The outcomes of otoplasty are generally positive with a huge number of patients reporting satisfaction with the results, especially here at Allure Plastic Surgery due to the skills and expertise of our specialists. Thanks to the modern technologies used during these procedures, cosmetic ear surgery is relatively hassle-free and within the reach of most people and even newer advancements, apart from the traditional cutting, scoring or molding techniques, allow for new ways of cartilage alteration.
Incisionless otoplasty offers new possibilities of altering the ear structure without any kind of surgeries as it involves stitching of the outer skin to mold the inner cartilage without piercing into the soft tissues. Since this type of procedure takes a lot less time to perform the surgery, it's recommended for people with only minor protruding ears.
There are many reasons why people undergo otoplasty. Some may choose to have the surgery to fix congenital defects such as Cat's ear, Lop ear, Scroll ear, Question Mark ear, or a Cleft earlobe while others may wish to undergo the procedure to resolve any of the following reasons:
- Unhappy with the size or shape: If you are unhappy with the shape of your ear or even size, you can have the right size which will make you happy. The surgeon will assess the size and shape of your ear so that he can reshape the ear to the best possible shape which will work well with your face.
- Ears protruding more than they should: If your ears are protruding more than they should, you can have them corrected after you call the best plastic surgeons and schedule a session with them. Children with imperfections on their ears can be teased at school which makes them uneasy. You can easily avoid the stigma after you undergo the ear reshaping procedure.
Benefits of Ear Surgery
Otoplasty surgery comes with many advantages, especially if you look for the best surgeon who will perform the best operation like the ones here at Allure Plastic Surgery in New York. When you speak to one of our specialiss during your consultation, they can help explain the many advantages you will enjoy during and after your ear surgery:
- Safe procedure: Generally speaking, there's no risk involved with this procedure, especially when your surgeon follows the right procedures to reshape the ear and allow it to heal within a short period.
- Enhances confidence and self-esteem: Children with ear defects can be teased at school and by their peers, which can affect their performance in school and other activities. If you're an adult looking to get this surgery done for yourself, we're sure you can appreciate what that feels like. Once you, or you child, has the surgery, you'll notice a renewed confidence and spirit, as well as a willingness to tackle many challenges.
- Minimal downtime: Since it's a minimally invasive procedure, you can expect to experience downtime of about a week. After this time, you can attend work or your child can attend school, but you should refrain from physical activities such as football, rugby, or hockey which could damage the tissue as it heals.
- Minimal scarring once healed: Due to the fact it's only a small incision at the back of the ear, the procedure does not leave huge marks once you have healed and leaves you with a beautiful ear so that you can move on with your life comfortably.
- Natural-looking results: Before your ear surgery, your surgeon will help you choose the best ear shape for you face so the final results after the procedure are very natural.
What Happens During Otoplasty?
Depending on the nature of ear structure, the size of the concha and the helical folds, there can be many techniques used for otoplasty. The simplest of them is a cartilage-sparing technique known as percutaneous adjustable closed otoplasty, or PACO for short.
A simple consultation will enable the physician to examine whether you qualify for otoplasty and its viability. During the consultation, you'll be made aware of the operation and briefed on the process in details. We'll discuss your concerns with your ears, or those of your child, and with your preferences in mind, we'll schedule your operation.
When you arrive for your appointment, the procedure for ear reshaping starts with the application of local anesthesia with mild sedatives for adults while children are given general anesthesia.
An incision is then made at the back of the patient’s ears, near the part where the ear is attached to the head. The size of the incision depends on the nature of change required and the amount of cartilage to be removed, introduced or folded.
The surgeon next proceeds with creating necessary bends and folds in the helix of the pinna. The bowl area of the ear, which may result in an unpleasant cup-like formation of the ear is also operated upon. This results in a more flat and concealed pinna. To hold the cartilage structure in place, sometimes non-removable sutures are introduced within the matrix of the tissues.
These will naturally dissolve away after a few months and will help to hold the new shape. After the necessary alterations, the cut is dried and the incision is stitched back up. The scar is then dressed with an anti-inflammatory ointment and a tissue softening mineral oil. This scar, which will be at the back of your ears, will erode away naturally after a few years. The entire process takes about 1-4 hours depending on the complexity of the situation.
Ear Surgery (Otoplasty) Recovery
Otoplasty is a relatively risk-free procedure with few complications and a quick recovery time. Since anesthesia is used during the procedure, some pain will be experienced after it wears off, but it's mostly mild as it's caused by any swelling you might experience. If needed, some anti-inflammatory medicines may be prescribed to reduce the pain.
Post operation, patients are required to keep their dressing intact for a day and after removing the dressing, a protective headband is to be worn for 7 days which should only be removed while cleaning. After the first week, it can be worn at night for a month. Cleaning the area can be done with a warm water compression, followed by a wash with prescribed medicine. The warm compression will additionally help relax the cartilage muscles.
Patients are required to take 5 days of bed rest after the operation and during this period you're advised to avoid washing your head, splashing water on your face or using a hair dryer.
If the operation is being performed on your child, you're advised to plan their operation to allow for a one week resting period after the surgery. For adults, the healing process is completed within 4-7 days, after which you can return to your daily life.
To find out if ear reshaping is right for you or your child, please schedule an otoplasty consultation online or call Allure Plastic Surgery at (212) 661-2563 today.