Proudly serving New York City, Manhattan, Staten Island, Long Island & nearby areas of New York
- What exactly is a “Mommy Makeover”?
- What procedures are generally included in a Mommy Makeover?
- What are the advantages of a Mommy Makeover vs individual procedures?
- Who is a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
- How long should I wait after having children to undergo a Mommy Makeover?
- How do I prepare for a mommy makeover?
- How long will the results of my Mommy Makeover last?
- How does the Mommy Makeover process work?
- What can I expect during recovery after my Mommy Makeover?
- How much does a Mommy Makeover Cost?
- Who can I talk to about a Mommy Makeover?
What exactly is a “Mommy Makeover”?
Becoming a mother is a rewarding and life-change experience, but also a body-altering experience. Pregnancy affects each woman’s body a different way, but becoming a mom does not mean you can't regain your youthful, pre-pregnancy shape. Exercise and dieting are important, but often aren’t enough to fully repair the changes that take place during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
"The popularity of mommy makeover surgery has been increasing over the past few years as more and more photos of all aspects of a person's life are being placed on social media. A simple picture taken at the beach can instantly be shared onto hundreds of people's Facebook and Instagram accounts, so people are much more aware of their appearance today.” says Dr. Elliot Heller, M.D., of Allure Plastic Surgery located in New York, NY. “Also, plastic surgery has become much more commonplace as many celebrities write about their experience, which is read by millions of people, possibly making them more comfortable about seeking out plastic surgery themselves.”
A “Mommy Makeover” is a common term used to describe a combination of plastic surgery procedures that your surgeon will perform at the same time. These procedures target the body areas most affected by giving birth. You and your surgeon work together to determine the optimal choice of procedures based on your body and your ultimate goals.
What procedures are generally included in a Mommy Makeover?
While most women opt for a breast lift with an optional breast augmentation along with a tummy tuck, you may choose additional procedures, or less, depending on your body goals.
Common mommy makeover procedures include:
After pregnancy and breastfeeding, many women will see a reduction in their overall breast size, accompanied by stretched breast skin and often enlarged areolas. A breast enhancement procedure can help your breasts regain that pre-pregnancy bounce and firmness, often better than ever.
Procedure options include:
- Breast Augmentation: Breast augmentation enhances the volume of the breast through the placement of saline or silicone gel implants. This procedure can restore your breasts to their former, natural size or optionally enhance the size of your breasts to achieve the body shape you’ve always wanted. Implants also fill out the upper portion of your breasts for a firm and youthful contour.
- Breast Lift: A mastopexy , otherwise known as a breast lift procedure, restores the youthful, pre-pregnancy shape to your breasts by removing excess skin as well as adjusting the position of the nipple and areola to a higher and more centered position on the breast. Enlarged areolas can optionally be reduced and reshaped as well during the procedure. This procedure is a very common choice for women experiencing drooping breasts following pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Breast Augmentation with Lift: A breast augmentation is a combined procedure, which enhances both the size and shape of the breasts. The breast augmentation with lift is the ideal solution for women who wish to addresses sagging skin and/or drooping breasts, as well as enhance the volume and firmness of their breasts.
Body Enhancement & Contouring
Most mothers understand changes to the body are an inevitable consequence of pregnancy. Skin changes are very common, but the changes that tend to be most offensive to women are stretch marks accompanied by loose, hanging skin that will not return to its normal size and tightness. The pinkish, purplish stretchmark lines are typically seen on a woman's breasts, abdomen, posterior, and thighs, and they tend to itch as well. Stretch marks are generally caused by a breakdown of collagen (the connective tissue that supports the skin) in areas where the skin has had rapid growth, such as during pregnancy. The skin covering the abdominal area is often most affected and many new mothers are self-conscious of the appearance of their midsections. A mommy makeover offers options to address these concerns:
- Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty): An abdominoplasty, often referred to as a “Tummy tuck”, is a surgery to correct damage of the abdomen area caused by pregnancy, and which generally cannot be corrected with diet and exercise alone. In addition to tightening loose, stretched skin, repair of your abdominal muscles along the midline can be performed by your surgeon to flatten your belly, increase abdominal strength, and even enhance your workouts! Additional benefits of a tummy tuck include C-section scar diminishment and removal of stretchmarks, spider veins, and varicose veins on the tummy skin.
- Liposuction (lipoplasty): Liposuction is a procedure that addresses pockets of fat around the body, which often follow pregnancy and are often very difficult to eliminate entirely even with aggressive diet and exercise. Liposuction can be applied to various areas of your post-pregnancy body, including your waist, buttocks, bra-line and thighs. Liposuction will reduce bulges and diminish or eliminate the appearance of cellulite, giving you a smoother, more feminine, youthful appearance.
Vaginal and Labia Rejuvenation
Although not as common in most Mommy Makeovers, additional procedures are available to reconstruct and rejuvenate your vaginal area, namely vaginoplasty and labiaplasty.
A Vaginoplasty is a procedure that targets a slack or loose vagina from vaginal childbirth or aging, with the goal to “tighten up” this area.
A Labiaplasty is surgery on the labia (the “lips" surrounding the vagina). This procedure can be performed alone or in conjunction with a vaginoplasty and can be performed on the labia major (the larger, outer vaginal lips), or the labia minor (the smaller, inner vaginal lips). Labiaplasty modifies the size or shape of the labia, often making the lips smaller and often correcting an asymmetry between the lips.
With either a Brazilian butt lift or buttock implants, you can achieve a shapelier behind that enhances your overall silhouette.
These are some of the most common procedures included in a mommy makeover, however many of our patients opt for other surgical procedures as well as minimally-invasive, non-surgical procedures to create a more comprehensive result. During your private consultation, your surgeon will provide detailed explanations of the options available to you that will help you achieve your body goals.
What are the advantages of a Mommy Makeover vs individual procedures?
Benefits of having a combination mommy makeover procedure as opposed to scheduling separate procedures is the reduced overall recovery time and cost savings.
“A Mommy makeover is convenient because several procedures can be combined into one surgery, resulting in only one anesthesia and one recovery period.” added Dr. Heller. “The total costs will be a little less when procedures are combined as well.”
Who is a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
If rejuvenating multiple areas of your body after having children sounds appealing, then you may be a perfect candidate for a mommy makeover. It's never too late to feel proud and confident about your body again, however there are some guidelines to follow to achieve the most effective results from a mommy maker procedure. These procedures are ideal for women who match the following criteria:
- Are in good overall health. This is a general pre-requisite for most surgeries, elective or non-elective.
- Do not intend to have more children. While you may elect to have children after performing a mommy makeover, doing so will put your body through the same stresses as your previous pregnancies and may reverse the results from your mommy makeover procedure. The ideal candidate will be done having children.
- Are not breastfeeding. It is recommended that patients wait until they've stopped breastfeeding, or at least 3 months after giving birth for mothers who elect to not breastfeed.
- Have reached a healthy weight they intend to maintain. Keeping weight fluctuations to a minimum with proper diet and exercise is key to not only maintain a healthy body on the inside but is key in maintaining long-term results of your mommy makeover. Excess weight gain OR weight loss will diminish the effectiveness of your mommy makeover procedures, so achieving your desired long term weight prior to your procedure is important.
- Can commit to the recovery period. Recovery time varies depending on the person and depending on which procedures are performed, but you must be able to commit to the recovery period your surgeon advises.
How long should I wait after having children to undergo a Mommy Makeover?
We typically recommend that mother’s wanting mommy makeover procedures wait until they've stopped breastfeeding, or a minimum of 3 months after giving girth. For mothers with grown children, mommy makeover procedures are appropriate as long as the patient follows the guidelines in the paragraph above (“Who is a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover”).
How do I prepare for a mommy makeover?
Your chosen surgeon will provide detailed guidelines and instructions on proper preparation leading up to your procedure. These instructions will include a list of medications to avoid, dietary restrictions, medical conditions that must be addressed, and how to properly plan for your recovery period.
One of the most important aspects with your surgery is your recovery time. One of the most important tasks you can perform prior to your surgery is to arrange for help at your home for at least the first week after your surgery. If you are currently caring for younger children, it is essential to have someone assist with your child care duties during this time. You will have restrictions on lifting, which includes babies and toddlers. Arranging for assistance with your daily life duties, especially child care duties, will speed up your recovery and healing time and minimize the possibility of complications that could delay your recuperation.
How long will the results of my Mommy Makeover last?
Most patients who have undergone a mommy makeover find their results lasting indefinitely if they avoid significant weight fluctuations, maintain a healthy diet, and participate in an active lifestyle. Of course, it is impossible to fully halt the natural aging process, but the results of your mommy makeover will last for many years following your procedure with proper self-care.
How does the Mommy Makeover process work?
Your first step is selecting your surgeon. There is a difference between a cosmetic surgeon and a plastic surgeon and it is recommended that you select a highly-experienced plastic surgeon for your mommy makeover procedures. An experienced surgeon will have many years of experience doing thousands of these procedures, which is important to learn all the intricate points of every patient’s case.
Assure that your procedure will be performed at a fully accredited & certified plastic surgery procedure room, hospital, or ambulatory surgery center. Verify that the facility is certified by either the JCAHO, AAAASF, or AAAHC as you want to be sure your procedure is performed in a safe, clean, regulated environment. Those regulatory agencies inspect facilities for cleanliness and safety, as well as verify the training of the personnel involved in patient care.
Once you feel confident with your selected surgeon, you will have a full consultation to get to know your surgeon and go over the procedure options available to you with your mommy makeover. Your surgeon will discuss your medical history and a physical examination will be performed.
You will of course talk with your surgeon about your body goals and the improvements in appearance you would to attain. This is the most exciting part! During this time, you will describe the body modifications you are interested in and your surgeon will discuss these with you, often reviewing before-and-after photos of prior patients. Your surgeon will discuss your preferences and concerns, give you specific details about each procedure including the cost, potential complications to be aware of, recovery time and any other elements unique to you. This is the time to ASK QUESTIONS! You should be encouraged to take your time in this important decision making process.
The goal is to create a highly-personalized surgical plan that will result in all the improvements you wish to experience for your body.
What can I expect during recovery after my Mommy Makeover?
Recovery times varies based on the individual, number of procedures performed, and any variances unique to the individual. Your surgeon will discuss recovery times in detail with you, however here are some general recovery guidelines you can refer to:
- The first 1-2 hours after surgery will be spent in the recovery room.
- During the first few days, you'll experience soreness and swelling, which your doctor will assist in alleviating using prescribing pain medication. You will need to maintain limited movement with basic walking to maintain circulation, but you should keep physical activity to a minimum during this time and expect to be mostly immobile.
- Within 2 weeks of your surgery, your stitches will be removed and you will notice the improvements in your overall appearance already. Your surgeon will provide guidance on safe and proper healing based on the procedures you included in your mommy makeover.
- 2-4 weeks after surgery, patients need to be careful and avoid strenuous lifting or situations that could potentially interfere with proper healing, but most patients find that they are able to comfortably return to work and resume daily living activities, all while enjoying their new bodies.
- After 4-6 weeks, more strenuous exercise and activities may be performed as your body continues healing. You will notice your scars continuing to heal along with other sings of surgery diminishing.
How much does a Mommy Makeover Cost?
A mommy makeover contains many different factors in relation to price, but generally ranges between $7,000 - $20,000, depending on a variety of things including the procedures you elect to include, your geographical location, the experience and expertise of your surgeon, facility fees, anesthesiologist fees, and additional optional services.
Now that you have an idea of the costs, you should understand that making decisions based on costs is not in your best interests. You should select the plastic surgeon that you feel the most comfortable with and that you feel is most qualified to safely perform your procedures. If your surgeon’s fees are out of your budget, you should consider reducing the procedures performed or postpone your mommy makeover until you have the budget available to afford the surgeon of your choice.
Who can I talk to about a Mommy Makeover?
We recognize that as a mother, you want to feel comfortable and confident in your own skin. For more mommy makeover information, questions or clarifications, please contact Allure Plastic Surgery in New York, NY by visiting their website: http://www.newyorkplasticsurgeryallure.com/contact-us, or call (212) 661-2563 today to schedule your consultation with an experienced New York plastic surgeon. We welcome patients throughout the Manhattan, New York City, and Long Island areas. During your consultation, we will discuss your specific goals for your mommy makeover and which procedures will help you reclaim your youthful appearance.