Liposuction is one of the most common cosmetic surgery procedures performed at Allure Plastic Surgery in New York City. Dr. Heller has performed liposuction in New York City for over 30 years. The procedure is extremely useful sculpting tool for removing unwanted, stubborn fat. If you have specific areas on the body that don’t respond well to exercise or to diet, this method may be an option to consider. When it comes to plastic surgery, this type of procedure is most commonly requested. This procedure is often done by removing excess fat in the areas of interest and removing the fat cells completely. These types of procedures can be done in one day and are a very effective way to give your body the shape you might be looking for, and the results are noticeable right away. The purpose of liposuction is to contour the problematic areas and create a natural, slimming appearance.
Liposuction is not a treatment for weight loss. We often find that patients that have this procedure done find themselves more motivated to improve their diet and exercise patterns to lose weight. The hips, stomach, along with inner and outer thighs, are the most common problem areas that patients want to fix. Although these are the most common areas treated, patients do have liposuction done on the buttocks, knees, arms, and chin area as well.
New York City surgeon Dr. Heller brings over 30 years of experience when it comes to these procedures. This procedure starts with the suctioning of a metallic rod, known as a cannula. The surgeon will insert the cannula through a small puncture in the skin. These procedures are performed by the doctor when the patient is under sedation by a board-certified anesthesiologist.
The liposuction procedure
The surgeon will perform the procedure in a fully equipped, AAAHC accredited surgery center. The patient will undergo sedation through a board-certified anesthesiologist to makes sure the patient is comfortable. The liposuction in New York City procedures are relatively simple and usually takes no more than two hours. The process will consist of the following steps:
- The surgeon performing the procedure will have you stand and mark the problem areas with a pen where the fat will be removed. These markings will help guide the surgeon throughout the procedure.
- After the patient is under, the doctor will make tiny incisions to the area where your fat will be removed. These small incisions will be anywhere from two to three millimeters in size.
- There are two different options for removing the fat cells:
- When sedated, the surgeon will then insert a thin, hollow tube called a cannula. The cannula is where the suction occurs, and the surgeon will insert the cannula through the incision. The vibration of the cannula helps loosen the fat and aids in the removal of fat cells.
- We also provide an alternate type of liposuction called SmartLipo. This method uses a laser to heat the fat to help with its removal. The SmartLipo method will heat up and liquefy the targeted fat cells, and this will make it easier for the doctor to suction out the fat.
- When the procedure is over, the surgeon will suture (sew) the small incisions that will either dissolve or require removal in a week. Depending on how much experience the surgeon has, you shouldn’t see scaring once the incisions have properly healed.
- It’s often recommended to wear compression garments to the areas that received treatment. These garments are worn for a month usually until the swelling resolves.
Liposuction recovery: What to expect
After the liposuction procedure, you’ll notice that you might have bruising. It’s important to know that bruising or swelling is to be expected and normal when recovering. Typically, the soreness goes away within a few days, but the bruising can take up to two weeks. When you get liposuction in New York done, it’s always a good idea that when you leave, you do so with a responsible adult that plans on spending the night with you to help with your recovery. It’s important that you wear compression garments for up to a month to help the area you had your procedure. Wearing these compression garments will minimize swelling and help with the new look.
Most patients can typically return to work within a few days. It’s best to wait a few weeks before you start any vigorous exercise. It’s important to first speak with your surgeon before starting any exercise program. When it comes to the recovery process, it’s important to follow up with your doctor. Usually, within 5-7 days after surgery, it’s recommended to visit with your doctor to ensure all is well. A second visit is recommended a few weeks after the surgery and finally the third visit a few months after.
After the procedure has been completed and the swelling has gone down, our New York liposuction patients notice a sleeker look to their appearance. When the procedure is over, this will often provide the patient with self-confidence, which hopefully encourages them to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
How long will liposuction last?
Unlike cosmetic injections that might last only a few months, liposuction will last indefinitely. Keep in mind that this type of procedure is not a weight loss solution and you shouldn’t see it as such. Making sure you live a healthy life, eat clean, and exercise often is important to the overall health of most individuals. We know living in New York can be quite busy with so many unhealthy options but eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle is critical.
When the procedure is complete, you should notice a more slimmed-down appearance, contoured to the look you were wanting. Since the fat cells were sucked out through the cannula, these results will most likely last forever. Try to avoid gaining additional weight after your procedure and when you feel you’re ready, consult your doctor for approval on starting an exercise program.
Who is an appropriate candidate for liposuction?
If you’re considering liposuction in New York, first start by setting up an appointment through a reputable doctor. Dr. Heller brings over 30 years of experience and can help identify if you’re a qualified candidate or not. Here are a few reasons one might be a good candidate for this type of procedure.
- People who might have trouble contouring their "problem areas" that diet and exercise don't seem to fix. These are often far areas that won't change no matter how much you exercise. These problem areas often see change when you get this work done.
- Liposuction is best used by people who are slightly over their ideal body weight that might need a little extra help. Always keep in mind that this type of procedure should not be looked at as a weight loss solution. The procedure was designed to reshape the body and give the patient a better, sleeker-looking appearance.
- People who have realistic expectations regarding the outcome of liposuction and aren’t seeking perfection. Getting this type of work done will help with certain problem areas and will provide improvement. But it’s important to understand that results will never be perfect.
- You’re doing it for yourself, not to fulfill another person’s wants or needs.
- Patients with good skin elasticity are ideal candidates for liposuction. When patients have the right skin type, it can conform to the new contours of the body after the fat deposits are taken out by the cannula. It’s good to have good skin elasticity and muscle tone before considering this type of procedure.
When the procedure is done, it’s important to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle and exercise often. An ideal candidate for someone who might want liposuction would be those wanting to eliminate fat deposits from their body that don’t seem to go away through diet and exercise. Keep in mind; this procedure will not get rid of cellulite.
What are the risks associated with NYC liposuction
Liposuction is one of the most popular procedures when it comes to plastic surgery. Complications from this type of procedure are very minimal. Although risks are extremely rare, some risks to exit such as bleeding, changes in skin sensation, infection, swelling, allergic reaction to anesthesia.
It’s important to go with an experienced plastic surgeon that is up to date with the latest plastic surgery techniques. Always do a search on the NYSED site to verify the license of the surgeon performing your procedure. By doing this, it will ensure that the procedure goes well, and that recovery time is kept to a minimum. It’s important to note that plastic surgeons skills will vary greatly; it’s always a good idea to do thorough research and go with an experienced plastic surgeon that has decades of experience. Having an experienced surgeon perform the procedure will reduce any possible risk since the provider has a great deal of experience in performing liposuction in New York.
Frequently asked questions
- How much weight can I expect to lose?
Having this type of procedure done should not be looked at as a weight-loss method, but rather a means of removing unwanted or stubborn fat deposits from the body that don’t respond well to eating healthy or exercise.
- How much does this cost?
The cost of these procedures can vary on many different factors. Body type, aesthetic objectives, the type of liposuction, how many different areas are having fat removed, the type of anesthesia, the cost of the operating facility are just a few things that are considered to give the patient an accurate quote. Please consult your plastic surgeon for a consultation and a more accurate quote.
- Will this remove cellulite?
Liposuction is not a method to remove cellulite. The procedure is often used to improve the contour of the body by removing stubborn or unwanted fat deposits. Other methods do exist for the removal of cellulite, and it’s best to talk with your surgeon about this.
- Will I have bad scarring?
The surgeon that does your performs this should make scarring very minimal. A skilled surgeon should be able to make it not noticeable after healing. The length of the incisions done by the surgeon are small (2-3mm), and a skilled surgeon should be able to put them in discreet places.
Dr. Heller brings decades of experience when it comes to NYC liposuction. During the consultation phase, he’ll evaluate you and takes into consideration the general health of each candidate for the procedure. Safety is always our absolute highest priority to ensure all goes well. A fast recovery, postop care, and getting you back to your daily life as quickly as possible is our top priority.
Dr. Heller brings over 30 years of experience and has been practicing plastic surgery since 1989. He is one of the founding members of the new Jersey Cosmetic Surgery Society as well as the American Academy of Aesthetic and Restorative Surgery. Dr. Heller completed his plastic surgery training at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in New York. When you’re looking for liposuction in NYC, it’s important to find a surgeon you can rely on that has as much experience as Dr. Heller.